Jetpack Carousel in Magazine Top Content Sidebar, images are too small

NapitWPTech Theme Support Forums The NewsMag Jetpack Carousel in Magazine Top Content Sidebar, images are too small

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bishal Napit 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

jamminjames
    Participant

I had contacted you via the contact form, as I could not find the place to register (suggestion: where it says ‘you must be logged in to post’ in the forum, you should provide a link to register, as I could not figure out where to do that).

In it, I stated I had two problems. This first one is solved, it required a ‘featured image’ to be set in the post. Otherwise, nothing shows at all in the slider:

1) Adding a second “TNM Posts Slider Widget” (for a different category) in the Magazine Top Content Sidebar does not seem to work. You can put the widget there, but it does not show on the page.

The second problem is probably just a Jetpack issue, but if you can help, it would be much appreciated:

2) I have added a Jetpack Carousel to the Magazine Top Content Sidebar, but the images are very small within it. When I try to edit the gallery to increase the image size, it doesn’t help. I can find no CSS that would help (using Inspect Element in the browser).

I’ll add one more question: Is there any way to vary the slider timing? I have two sliders on the home page, and they change at the same time — it would be nice to vary them. If that’s not possible, is there a way to at least set the timing differently? Slower would be nice.

The page is here: http://www.editorialandpoliticalcartoons.com/

Bishal Napit
    Keymaster

@jamminjames

For the JetPack plugin issue, while you are creating the widget via Gallery (JetPack), there is option of choosing the image size in Size option while creating the gallery. In that step, can you choose the image size of either Full Size or Large according to your requirement and check?

Regarding the slider speed issue, as it requires lots of code customization work, all of it could not be covered via this forum. Hope you can understand. For this, first of all you have to dequeue the theme main theme script, which handle is the-newsmag-main-script via the child theme. After that, you need to copy the file js/the-newsmag-custom.js to your child theme. Now, again you might need to enqueue the file via the child theme. Now, search for the code: speed: 2000, in that copied file and change it to speed: 5000, or according to your liking.

If you could not know about how to create the child theme, then, here is the link to that article: https://napitwptech.com/tutorial/wordpress-development/tutorial-creating-wordpress-child-theme/

Thanks.
    Bishal Napit

jamminjames
    Participant

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did try that with the Jetpack issue, it doesn’t matter what size you choose, after saving and coming back, it is back to thumbnail. I have contacted Jetpack about this issue.

Thanks for the help on the slider timing. It would be a really good feature to add to your theme, to be able to adjust this. I’ve seen it done in other themes/plugins. I suppose the js just uses a variable, which can be set outside of the script.

Thanks again.

Bishal Napit
    Keymaster

@jamminjames

Could you once check on by disabling the Photon feature provided by this plugin in your site? I asked it since, I had no issue while checking it on my local developing environment. Thank you for the suggestion on adding the slider timing in this theme. It is well appreciated. I will look towards this feature in the version update of the theme.

Thanks.
    Bishal Napit

jamminjames
    Participant

I tried that, made no difference. Flushed cache before I tested. Also tried creating a new one from scratch, same result.

So you were able to make a Jetpack slideshow widget that showed large images? Can you give me a link to it, I’d like to see it.

jamminjames
    Participant

Here’s an interesting thing I found. When looking at the Image Info (right-click, View Image Info), it shows for the location this: https://i1.wp.com/www.editorialandpoliticalcartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/trump-as-goldfinger.jpg?fit=1200%2C989&w=265

The images are 265 pixels wide. That’s not even one of the standard image sizes we have set up in WordPress, which are 150, 400 and 1024. It does not say the image is scaled down, so Jetpack (or your theme?) seems to be creating a new image just for this. I looked at their Carousel php & js files, and they seem to be set up to look for the best size to fit the carousel, so I don’t understand. The carousel on this page is 790 pixels wide at full size.

If I had to guess, I’d say the ‘i1.wp.com’ preface to the url address is associated with their Photon service, but as I said, I turned that off and cleared caches, both on the site and for my browser. Perhaps it will take a while longer for the service to be shut off on their end, I don’t know.

Bishal Napit
    Keymaster

@jamminjames

Since I have checked it via my local development environment, so, I will be attaching the link to that screenshot via this forum thread, which is: http://imgur.com/OYF2tU2. Also, this theme is not cropping the image size of that one you mentioned. Can you be sure on this? Also, it looks like the images is still being served up in your site via that Photon feature of the plugin. So, can you once deactivate it and clear the site cache added via the plugin and check?

Thanks.
    Bishal Napit

jamminjames
    Participant

I cleared the cache again, same result. Looking into it, I found this post, https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-completely-disable-photon-1/, which says that you have to disable the Jetpack Tiled Galleries also, to completely disable Photon. But when you do that, the carousel doesn’t work either, it is no longer available.

I even disabled all other plugins (besides Jetpack), including the caching plugin, and still the same result.

Is that a Jetpack carousel in the link you provided? If so, I don’t know why it work on your site and not mine.

Bishal Napit
    Keymaster

@jamminjames

The image which I provided to you is of the JetPack plugin, where Carousel and Tiled Galleries were activated at the same time, but not the Photon feature while doing so. So, maybe you can get better support from the plugin developer than I could provide you with. So, could you once post the same query in the respective plugin forum? They may be able to help you in this better than I could.

Thanks.
    Bishal Napit

jamminjames
    Participant

Okay, and yes, I did already have a ticket in with them, but they’re being very slow to respond. Thank you for your prompt response!

Bishal Napit
    Keymaster

@jamminjames

Do let me know know if there are any further query regarding to the theme. Also, they will be eventually replying to your query. So, please stay tuned on their reply.

Thanks.
    Bishal Napit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.